The Borough of Northvale NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 174 Section 16 (ecode360.com)
“In case any sidewalk becomes out of repair, the owner or occupant of the lands abutting such sidewalk shall forthwith, upon receipt of a written notice from the Borough Clerk, repair or cause the same to be repaired and made in a good and passable condition and to conform with the requirements of the previous section of this article.”
Sidewalk repair along with maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the obligation of the abutting property proprietor. Plenty of home owners are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is responsible for fixing damaged sidewalks. In many cases, the home proprietor will hire contractors to make the repair or their municipality will employ the work but will charge the home proprietor for 100% of the job cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey initiated a program that required property owners to preserve broken sidewalks adjacent to their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Property owners in Northvale are responsible for upholding the sidewalks in front of their buildings. When they fail to adequately repair their sidewalks, they become responsible for the injuries that pedestrians suffer. These pedestrians that injure themselves by cause of your defective sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the home proprietor. There are also many of lawyers that love to follow through with these kinds of premise liability cases, which will cost you a lot of money down the road. A lot of estate owners in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court because of their neglect or the lack of knowledge in regards to sidewalks and responsibility.
Your city or borough may also send you a notice demanding you to repair your sidewalk. Failure to agree within a limited time frame will result in fines. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by contacting a sidewalk repair company now!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Northvale pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Northvale NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Hiring a sidewalk contractor to repair your broken sidewalk is the best way to avert any lawsuits or fines from your municipality. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, specializes in sidewalk repair. With numerous crews working all over Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is capable of re-constructing your sidewalk within a few hours which in turn will diminish liability and improve the look of your estate’s aesthetics immensely. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk repaired professionally!