The Borough of North Arlington NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 319 Section 24 (ecode360.com)
“The owner or owners of lands situate within the Borough and abutting upon streets, roads, avenues and public places and portions thereof shall be required, when directed by the governing body, to construct, re-lay, or repair sidewalks in front of his, her or their lands in that portion of the premises allotted for sidewalks, at his, her or their own cost and expense, and shall do so in the manner hereinafter set forth.”
Sidewalk repair along with maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the responsibility of the abutting home proprietor. Plenty of property owners are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is liable for repairing damaged sidewalks. In many cases, the property proprietor will hire contractors to make the repair or their municipality will hire the work but will charge the property owner for 100% of the cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey launched a program that demanded estate owners to repair broken sidewalks adjacent to their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Estate proprietors in North Arlington are liable for maintaining the sidewalks adjacent to their property. When they fail to effectively preserve their sidewalks, they become accountable for the grievances that pedestrians experience. These pedestrians that injure themselves because of your broken sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the property owner. There are also many lawyers that love to follow through with these kinds of premise liability cases, which will cost you a lot of money down the road. Many estate proprietors in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their negligence or the lack of knowledge in regards to sidewalks and responsibility.
Your municipality or borough may also send you a notice requiring you to repair your sidewalk. Failure to conform within a specific time frame will result in fines. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by hiring a sidewalk repair company ASAP!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for North Arlington pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
North Arlington NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Hiring a sidewalk contractor to re-construct your broken sidewalk is the best solution to avert any lawsuits or fines from your city. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, specializes in sidewalk repair. With numerous crews working all over Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is capable of fixing your sidewalk within a few hours which in turn will diminish liability and enhance the look of your property’s aesthetics vastly. Just a quick call to HOLESSolutions will end the daily gamble you’re taking. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk fixed professionally!