The Borough of Harrington Park NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 297 Section 14 (ecode360.com)
“In case any sidewalk becomes out of repair, the owner or occupant of the lands abutting such sidewalk shall forthwith, upon receipt of written notice from the Superintendent of Public Works, repair or cause the same to be repaired and made in a good and passable condition conforming with the requirements of § 297-13 of this article.”
Sidewalk repair along with maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the duty of the abutting house owner. Thousands of home proprietors are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is responsible for fixing broken sidewalks. In most cases, the property owner will employ contractors to make the repair or their municipality will employ the work but will assess the house proprietor for 100% of the job cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey initiated a program that required property owners to fix damaged sidewalks adjacent to their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Property owners in Harrington Park are liable for preserving the sidewalks in front of their buildings. When they fail to adequately preserve their sidewalks, they become accountable for the injuries that pedestrians experience. These pedestrians that injure themselves by cause of your broken sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the estate owner. There are also plenty of lawyers that love to follow through with these kinds of premise liability cases, which will amount to a lot of money down the road. Many property proprietors in the state of New Jersey have been taken to court because of their neglectfulness or the lack of understanding in regards to sidewalks and responsibility.
Your city or borough may also send you a notice demanding that you re-construct your sidewalk. Failure to comply within a specific time frame will result in fines. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by contracting a sidewalk repair company today!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Harrington Park pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Harrington Park NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Employing a contractor to repair your broken sidewalk is the best solution to avert any lawsuits or fines from your municipality. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, specializes in sidewalk repair. With numerous crews working all over Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is capable of fixing your sidewalk within a few hours which will minimize liability and enhance the look of your property’s aesthetics vastly. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk repaired professionally!