The Borough of Rutherford NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 109 Section 9 (ecode360.com)
“Every owner, occupant or person having charge and control of property in the Borough of Rutherford on any street that is opened shall maintain and be responsible for the proper upkeep of that part of the street between the property line and the curb which abuts the property, including corner areas adjacent to corner lots, whether within or without the property line, and such upkeep shall include the proper maintenance and repair of the sidewalk.”
Sidewalk repair as well as maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the responsibility of the abutting property proprietor. Plenty of home proprietors are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is liable for fixing damaged sidewalks. In many cases, the house proprietor will hire contractors to make the repair or their city will contract the work but will charge the property owner for 100% of the cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey launched a program that demanded home owners to fix broken sidewalks adjacent to their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Home proprietors in Rutherford are responsible for upholding the sidewalks adjacent to their property. When they fail to adequately care for their sidewalks, they become liable for the injuries that pedestrians experience. These pedestrians that injure themselves by cause of your broken sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the property owner. There are also many lawyers that love to follow through with these types of premise liability cases, which will amount to a lot of money in the long run. Thousands of estate proprietors in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their laxity or the lack of knowledge in regards to sidewalks and liability.
Your city or borough may also send you a notice demanding that you re-construct your sidewalk. Failure to agree within a certain time frame will result in fines. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by hiring a sidewalk repair company today!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Rutherford pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Rutherford NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Employing a sidewalk contractor to fix your defective sidewalk is the best way to evade any lawsuits or fines from your municipality. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, focuses on sidewalk repair. With plenty of crews working all over Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is capable of fixing your sidewalk within a few hours which in turn will diminish liability and enhance the look of your home’s aesthetics tremendously. Just a quick call to HOLESSolutions will end the daily gamble you’re taking. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk fixed professionally!