The Borough of Ramsey NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 17 Section 2.8 (ecode360.com)
“All concrete sidewalks constructed, reconstructed, paved, repaved, improved and repaired shall be of concrete pavement four feet in width, except where there are already sidewalks of a lesser or greater width, in which event the new sidewalks shall be made to conform in width to the existing sidewalk, and all such sidewalks and driveways shall be constructed and repaired in all respects in accordance with the provisions of the specifications now or hereafter adopted by the Council, entitled “Specifications for Concrete Sidewalks and Driveways.” All such sidewalks and driveways shall be located at such a place between the curb and the property line as may be approved by the Council.”
Sidewalk repair as well as maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the duty of the abutting house owner. Many house owners are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is responsible for fixing broken sidewalks. In many cases, the property proprietor will employ contractors to make the repair or their municipality will employ the work but will assess the house owner for 100% of the job cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey launched a program that required home owners to fix damaged sidewalks in front of their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Estate owners in Ramsey are liable for maintaining the sidewalks in front of their buildings. When they fail to effectively repair their sidewalks, they become liable for the injuries that pedestrians suffer. These pedestrians that hurt themselves by cause of your damaged sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the property owner. There are also many lawyers that love to follow through with these types of premise liability cases, which will cost you a lot of money in the long run. A lot of house owners in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their neglect or the lack of understanding in regards to sidewalks and responsibility.
Your municipality or borough can also send you a notice demanding that you re-construct your sidewalk. Failure to agree within a restricted time frame will result in fines and penalties. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by employing a sidewalk repair company today!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Ramsey pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Ramsey NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Employing a contractor to re-construct your damaged sidewalk is the ideal solution to avoid any lawsuits or fines from your city. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, focuses on sidewalk repair. With numerous crews working throughout Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is highly capable of fixing your sidewalk within a few hours which in turn will minimize liability and refine the look of your estate’s aesthetics tremendously. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk repaired professionally!