The Borough of Paterson NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to repair their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 435 Section 6 via (http://ecode360.com/)
“It is hereby made the duty of the respective owners of land fronting or abutting upon the line of the streets of the City, except as provided in Â§ 435-10, hereinafter designated in this article, or portions of said streets, to:
Pave, maintain and keep in repair the sidewalks in front of or abutting upon their respective lands in the manner provided in this article.
Replace immediately any flag or concrete walk that may become broken.”
Sidewalk repair and maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the obligation of the abutting home proprietor. Many home proprietors are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is liable for fixing broken sidewalks. In most cases, the house proprietor will hire contractors to make the repair or their city will hire the work but will assess the home owner for 100% of the job cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey launched a program that demanded property proprietors to repair defective sidewalks in front of their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Estate owners in Paterson are responsible for maintaining the sidewalks in front of their buildings. When they fail to adequately care for their sidewalks, they become responsible for the injuries that pedestrians experience. These pedestrians that hurt themselves because of your broken sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the home owner. There are also plenty of lawyers that love to follow through with these types of premise liability cases, which will amount to a lot of money in the long run. Thousands of house owners in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their laxity or the lack of understanding in regards to sidewalks and responsibility.
Your municipality or borough can also send you a notice requiring you to fix your sidewalk. Failure to agree within a certain time frame will result in fines. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by contracting a sidewalk repair company ASAP!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Paterson pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Paterson NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
At HOLESSolutions, we are a well-established, dependable and professional infrastructure repair company that specializes in Paterson sidewalk repair. We provide fresh concrete, delivered or installed, to residential home owners throughout Paterson. Equipped with state-of-the-art concrete mixing equipment and an experienced crew, HOLESSolutions delivers quality service at an affordable price — 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! Call us now at 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk fixed professionally!