The Borough of Montclair NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 297 Section 12.1 (ecode360.com)
“In accordance with the notice procedure provided in this section, any sidewalk or curb on any public street which is out of line or grade or is broken or out of repair or is otherwise in need of reconstruction or repair shall be relaid to the approved line and grade, or the broken portions thereof shall be repaired or reconstructed by the owner of the land in front of which any such improvement, reconstruction or repair is to be made.”
Sidewalk repair in addition to maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the duty of the abutting home owner. Plenty of house proprietors are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is liable for repairing broken sidewalks. In many cases, the house proprietor will hire contractors to make the repair or their municipality will contract the work but will assign the property proprietor for 100% of the cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey launched a program that required property owners to fix defective sidewalks adjacent to their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
House owners in Montclair are liable for preserving the sidewalks adjacent to their property. When they fail to adequately care for their sidewalks, they become responsible for the injuries that pedestrians experience. These pedestrians that hurt themselves because of your damaged sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the estate owner. There are also plenty of lawyers that love to follow through with these types of premise liability cases, which will amount to a lot of money down the road. Thousands of home proprietors in the state of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their neglect or the lack of knowledge in regards to sidewalks and responsibility.
Your municipality or borough may also send you a notice requiring you to re-construct your sidewalk. Failure to comply within a specific time frame will result in fines. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by employing a sidewalk repair company now!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Montclair pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Montclair NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Hiring a sidewalk contractor to repair your defective sidewalk is the best way to avert any lawsuits or fines from your city. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, specializes in sidewalk repair. With numerous crews working all over Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is capable of fixing your sidewalk within a few hours which will reduce liability and refine the look of your house’s aesthetics immensely. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk repaired professionally!