The Borough of Livingston NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 274 Section 14 (ecode360.com)
“Every owner or occupant of property within the Township shall maintain and be responsible for the proper upkeep of that part of the street between the property line and the curb abutting his property, including corner areas adjacent to corner lots either within or without the property lines. Such upkeep shall include the proper maintenance and repair of the sidewalk in places where such sidewalk exists.”
Sidewalk repair and maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the duty of the abutting house proprietor. A lot of house owners are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is responsible for fixing damaged sidewalks. In many cases, the property owner will employ contractors to make the repair or their municipality will contract the work but will assign the property owner for 100% of the job cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey launched a program that required property proprietors to repair broken sidewalks in front of their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Home proprietors in Livingston are responsible for maintaining the sidewalks in front of their buildings. When they fail to sufficiently maintain their sidewalks, they become liable for the injuries that pedestrians suffer. These pedestrians that hurt themselves by cause of your damaged sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the property proprietor. There are also dozens of lawyers that love to follow through with these types of premise liability cases, which will cost you a lot of money in the long run. A lot of home owners in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their laxity or the lack of understanding in regards to sidewalks and liability.
Your city or borough can also send you a notice requiring you to repair your sidewalk. Failure to comply within a specific time frame will result in fines and penalties. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by calling a sidewalk repair company now!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Livingston pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Livingston NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Hiring a sidewalk contractor to repair your damaged sidewalk is the ideal solution to avert any lawsuits or fines from your city. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, specializes in sidewalk repair. With numerous crews working all over Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is capable of re-constructing your sidewalk within a few hours which will minimize liability and enhance the look of your house’s aesthetics immensely. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk fixed professionally!