The Borough of Ho-Ho-Kus NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 58 Section 17 (ecode360.com)
“Whenever the Construction Code Official of the Borough of Ho-Ho-Kus certifies to the municipal governing body that any sidewalks and curbs are in need of construction, repair, alteration, relaying or maintaining, the expense of said construction, repairing, altering, relaying or maintaining shall be borne by the landowners abutting the improvement.”
Sidewalk repair as well as maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the duty of the abutting house proprietor. Thousands of home owners are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is responsible for repairing damaged sidewalks. In most cases, the house owner will employ contractors to make the repair or their municipality will hire the work but will assign the property proprietor for 100% of the repair cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey launched a program that demanded estate owners to preserve damaged sidewalks in front of their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Estate owners in Ho-Ho-Kus are responsible for maintaining the sidewalks in front of their buildings. When they fail to effectively preserve their sidewalks, they become liable for the injuries that pedestrians experience. These pedestrians that injure themselves because of your beat-up sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the property proprietor. There are also plenty of lawyers that love to follow through with these types of premise liability cases, which will amount to a lot of money in the long run. A lot of estate owners in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their neglect or the lack of understanding in regards to sidewalks and liability.
Your municipality or borough may also send you a notice demanding that you repair your sidewalk. Failure to conform within a limited time frame will result in fines and penalties. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by contacting a sidewalk repair company today!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Ho-Ho-Kus pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Ho-Ho-Kus NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Hiring a sidewalk contractor to fix your defective sidewalk is the ideal way to avert any lawsuits or fines from your municipality. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, specializes in sidewalk repair. With plenty of crews working all over Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is capable of re-constructing your sidewalk within a few hours which will minimize liability and refine the look of your house’s aesthetics immensely. Just a quick call to HOLESSolutions will end the daily gamble you’re taking. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk repaired professionally!