The Borough of Hillsdale NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 260 Section 1 (ecode360.com)
“Any person owning, leasing or occupying any house or other building, or vacant lot, fronting on any street in the Borough shall, at his or her charge and expense, well and sufficiently pave and maintain in good repair according to the provisions of this article, the sidewalk, including the authorized installations thereon and therein, and the curb and gutter of the street in front of such house, building or lot.”
Sidewalk repair along with maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the obligation of the abutting home owner. Plenty of home proprietors are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is responsible for repairing battered sidewalks. In most cases, the property owner will employ contractors to make the repair or their city will employ the work but will charge the property owner for 100% of the repair cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey launched a program that demanded estate owners to fix defective sidewalks adjacent to their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
House owners in Hillsdale are responsible for maintaining the sidewalks adjacent to their property. When they fail to effectively care for their sidewalks, they become liable for the injuries that pedestrians suffer. These pedestrians that injure themselves by cause of your beat-up sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the property owner. There are also plenty of lawyers that love to follow through with these types of premise liability cases, which will cost you a lot of money in the long run. Many estate proprietors in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their laxity or the lack of understanding in regards to sidewalks and responsibility.
Your municipality or borough may also send you a notice demanding you to re-construct your sidewalk. Failure to conform within a limited time frame will result in fines. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by contacting a sidewalk repair company now!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Hillsdale pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Hillsdale NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Employing a contractor to fix your broken sidewalk is the ideal way to avoid any lawsuits or fines from your city. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, specializes in sidewalk repair. With plenty of crews working all over Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is capable of repairing your sidewalk within a few hours which will diminish liability and refine the look of your home’s aesthetics tremendously. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk fixed masterfully!