The Borough of Haledon NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 351 Section 28 (ecode360.com)
“All owners and persons owning real estate in the Borough of Haledon lying on any roadway shall maintain and keep in good repair the sidewalk or driveway apron. In the event that said sidewalk or driveway apron is to be repaired, it shall be at the cost and expense of the owner or owners. The repair shall be approved by the Construction Subcode Official and be in accordance with Borough specifications hereinafter outlined.”
Sidewalk repair as well as maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the responsibility of the abutting home owner. Many house proprietors are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is liable for fixing damaged sidewalks. In most cases, the house owner will employ contractors to make the repair or their city will contract the work but will charge the house proprietor for 100% of the repair cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey launched a program that demanded that property owners repair broken sidewalks adjacent to their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Estate owners in Haledon are accountable for preserving the sidewalks in front of their buildings. When they fail to effectively preserve their sidewalks, they become accountable for the injuries that pedestrians suffer. These pedestrians that hurt themselves because of your broken sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the home proprietor. There are also dozens of lawyers that love to follow through with these kinds of premise liability cases, which will cost you a lot of money down the road. Many property owners in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their negligence or the lack of understanding in regards to sidewalks and responsibility.
Your city or borough may also send you a notice demanding that you fix your sidewalk. Failure to comply within a certain time frame will result in fines. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by calling a sidewalk repair company today!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Haledon pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Haledon NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Employing a contractor to repair your damaged sidewalk is the ideal solution to avert any lawsuits or fines from your municipality. HOLESSolutions, a Haledon based infrastructure repair company, focuses on sidewalk repair. With plenty of crews working throughout Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is highly capable of repairing your sidewalk within a few hours which will reduce liability and improve the look of your estate’s aesthetics tremendously. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk repaired professionally!