The City of Englewood NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 380 Section 50 (ecode360.com)
“Each owner of land abutting or bordering upon the sidewalk of any streets or public place shall keep the sidewalks in front of their premises at all times in a safe, passable and orderly condition, free from snow, ice, leaves, grass, weeds or other debris or obstructions. In the case of cracked, broken or uneven sidewalks, such person shall repair, replace or reset such portion of the sidewalks so as to correct said condition. In case there is snow or ice on the sidewalks, such person shall remove the same within 24 hours after the snow shall have ceased falling or after the ice has formed.”
Sidewalk repair in addition to maintenance in the state of New Jersey is the responsibility of the abutting home owner. A lot of house owners are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is liable for fixing defective sidewalks. In most cases, the property proprietor will employ contractors to make the repair or their city will hire the work but will assess the property proprietor for 100% of the job cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey launched a program that required estate owners to repair defective sidewalks in front of their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen..
House owners in Englewood are accountable for preserving the sidewalks in front of their buildings. When they fail to sufficiently maintain their sidewalks, they become liable for the grievances that pedestrians experience. These pedestrians that hurt their selves because of your broken sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the home propriety. There are also dozens of lawyers that lionize to follow through with these types of premise liability cases, which will cost you a lot of money in the long run. Thousands of property proprietors in the state of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their neglectfulness or the lack of knowledge in regards to sidewalks and responsibility.
Your municipality or borough may also send you a notice demanding you to repair your sidewalk. Failure to comply within a certain time frame will result in fines. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by contacting a sidewalk repair company ASAP!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Englewood pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Englewood NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Hiring a sidewalk contractor to fix your broken sidewalk is the ideal solution to evade any lawsuits or fines from your city. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, specializes in sidewalk repair. With plenty of crews working all over Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is capable of repairing your sidewalk within a few hours which will minimize liability and refine the look of your estate’s aesthetics tremendously. Just a quick call to HOLESSolutions will end the daily gamble you’re taking. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk repaired masterfully!