The Borough of Dumont NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 380 Section 1 (ecode360.com)
“All sidewalks along the streets and public places of the Borough shall be put and kept in good passable condition, at the expense of the owners of the abutting property, under the supervision of the Superintendent of the Department of Public Works.”
Sidewalk repair as well as maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the duty of the abutting property proprietor. Many house owners are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is liable for repairing battered sidewalks. In many cases, the home owner will employ contractors to make the repair or their city will contract the work but will assess the house proprietor for 100% of the job cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey launched a program that required property proprietors to preserve damaged sidewalks adjacent to their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Estate owners in Dumont are liable for preserving the sidewalks adjacent to their property. When they fail to sufficiently preserve their sidewalks, they become responsible for the injuries that pedestrians suffer. These pedestrians that injure themselves because of your beat-up sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the property owner. There are also many of lawyers that love to follow through with these kinds of premise liability cases, which will cost you a lot of money down the road. A lot of home owners in the state of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their negligence or the lack of knowledge in regards to sidewalks and responsibility.
Your municipality or borough can also send you a notice requiring you to fix your sidewalk. Failure to comply within a restricted time frame will result in fines. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by contacting a sidewalk repair company today!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Dumont pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Dumont NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Employing a sidewalk contractor to fix your damaged sidewalk is the ideal solution to evade any lawsuits or fines from your municipality. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, focuses on sidewalk repair. With plenty of crews working throughout Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is highly capable of re-constructing your sidewalk within a few hours which will minimize liability and enhance the look of your estate’s aesthetics tremendously. Just risking. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk fixed professionally!