The City of Caldwell NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 207 Section 4 (ecode360.com)
“All owners of any parcel of land fronting on any improved street in the Borough shall keep the sidewalks in front of such land in good repair; and if in any case, after 30 days’ notice, such repairs are not done by such owner, the Borough Council shall have the same done and the expense thereof, with interest and costs, shall be assessed as a tax on such lot and shall be a lien thereon and be collected as other taxes are collected.”
Sidewalk repair as well as maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the obligation of the abutting home proprietor. A lot of home owners are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is responsible for repairing battered sidewalks. In most cases, the house owner will hire contractors to make the repair or their city will contract the work but will assign the home proprietor for 100% of the repair cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey initiated a program that demanded estate proprietors fix broken sidewalks in front of their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
House proprietors in Caldwell are responsible for preserving the sidewalks in front of their buildings. When they fail to sufficiently maintain their sidewalks, they become responsible for the grievances that pedestrians experience. These pedestrians that injure themselves by cause of your defective sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the estate proprietor. There are also plenty of lawyers that love to follow through with these types of premise liability cases, which will cost you a lot of money down the road. Many house proprietors in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court because of their laxity or the lack of knowledge in regards to sidewalks and liability.
Your municipality or borough may also send you a notice demanding that you repair your sidewalk. Failure to agree within a limited time frame will result in fines. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by hiring a sidewalk repair company now!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Caldwell pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Caldwell NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Employing a contractor to fix your damaged sidewalk is the ideal way to avert any lawsuits or fines from your city. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, focuses on sidewalk repair. With plenty of crews working throughout Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is highly capable of repairing your sidewalk within a few hours which in turn will diminish liability and enhance the look of your property’s aesthetics tremendously. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk repaired professionally!