The Borough of Bergenfield NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 273 Section 4 (ecode360.com)
“The owner or occupant of premises abutting any blue stone or concrete sidewalk shall maintain the flagstone which shall become broken, and shall maintain the flagstones so that the joints thereof are even. The surface of all concrete sidewalks shall be kept roughened, so as not to become smooth and slippery. In case the grade for any sidewalk has been legally established by the Borough, such sidewalks shall be laid and kept at such grade.”
Sidewalk repair as well as maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the duty of the abutting home owner. A lot of property proprietors are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is responsible for fixing battered sidewalks. In most cases, the property proprietor will employ contractors to make the repair or their city will contract the work but will assign the home proprietor for 100% of the repair cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey initiated a program that demanded home owners to repair broken sidewalks in front of their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Estate owners in Bergenfield are responsible for preserving the sidewalks in front of their buildings. When they fail to sufficiently repair their sidewalks, they become responsible for the injuries that pedestrians suffer. These pedestrians that injure themselves because of your broken sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the estate owner. There are also plenty of lawyers that love to follow through with these kinds of premise liability cases, which will amount to a lot of money in the long run. Thousands of estate owners in the state of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their laxity or the lack of understanding in regards to sidewalks and responsibility.
Your municipality or borough may also send you a notice requiring you to fix your sidewalk. Failure to conform within a certain time frame will result in fines and penalties. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by employing a sidewalk repair company today!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for CITY pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Bergenfield NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Employing a contractor to fix your broken sidewalk is the best way to evade any lawsuits or fines from your municipality. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, focuses on sidewalk repair. With numerous crews working throughout Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is capable of fixing your sidewalk within a few hours which in turn will reduce liability and enhance the look of your home’s aesthetics tremendously. Just a quick call to HOLESSolutions will end the daily gamble you’re taking. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk fixed professionally!