By Steve Rich —
I was contacted last week by the First Responders Children’s Foundation of NYC about using Tankque.com and running the tailgate at the 48th annual NYPD vs NYFD football game. The game is usually held at Columbia University but is being moved this year to MetLife stadium on June 6th 2021. This sadly, is the 20-year anniversary of 9/11.
We will be looking for more sponsors for food and other items and our team had started that process. We wanted to first go out to our local tri-borough residents and other volunteers who have helped with the events we did for first reasoners last year. we have had a tremendous response so far from NY fire and police who want to be there cooking as well. they are limited to selling only 6,000 tickets and we have no idea what the demand for food will be as some will surely bring their own food to the tailgate. For all that volunteer, we hope to keep you super busy, but there is a chance we could have down time or rest periods. There will a lot to do and see. All parking is free, so bring families to tailgate as well.
Some highlights of the event
- Tailgate goes from 9am to 2 pm.
- We will be front and center of the grand promenade entrance, where all fans will have to walk past.
- We will be surrounded by the fire trucks and police cars which were destroyed on 9/11.
- Football clinics for children.
- Vintage cars.
- Rock climbing wall and rope course
- 9/11 commemorative walk
- Game day boutique
- 2-2:30 pregame celebration.
- Saluting first responders lost on 9/11
- Honoring those with 9/11 related illnesses.
- Recognizing children of first responders who embody resilience & hope for future.
- Pipes and Drums, honor guard.
- Music performance by first responders and there children.
- Release of balloons for all first responders who were lost on 9/11
- Flyover by NYPD, fire, port authority helicopters.
- Halftime show is Darryl Worley, who sings “Have You Forgotten.
As for help at this time, here is a tentative schedule.
Saturday, 11 – 4. 5-10 people
- Set up
- Marinating meats, rubs etc.
- Firewood splitting crew. (we have wood, donated of course by Downes tree service, but we need a few cords split even further for the pizza oven and grills.
- Crew of 4 or so to watch over smoking of meat and adding wood to fires. Adding and removing meat etc., as the night goes on.
5am to 8am
- Setting up and prepping, 4-6 people.
8am to 2:30 2:30 to 5:30, (limited crew) 5pm to 8pm
- Pizza oven
- Pulling pork and making sandwiches
- Smokers and pig box
- Wrappers for food
- Taking orders, handing food out
- Breaking down food and repackaging
All extra food will stay overnight in the refrigerated food trucks, (donated by WCL’s own Tim Driscoll of Driscoll foods and Ryder truck Rentals.) we will be setting up charities, (meals on wheels to take food.)
Depending how that goes, we might be looking for volunteers to also deliver to other shelters etc. this will be a game time decision based on the food that is left over.
We also have reached out to my marina where my wife and I keep our boat, the Canyon Club in Cape may. We are asking for any of the boats that go our sport fishing, and let me tell you, these are crème de la crème of sport fisherman. We are going to ask for donations of some whole tuna to grill and smoke as well as other fish to make fish tacos. Most of fish will less than 24 hours old. We have a truck that will go down to Cape May and bring back some of this incredible bounty.
For all corporate sponsors, there will be different levels of sponsorship. All will get their name in the program and some will get a full page. All will get tickets for the game and some up to 20 guests and will be able to attend the pregame event in the Toyota club which we are told will have special guests.
If any want to just come down and enjoy the tailgate, walk around, eat some food and make a donation to the foundation, everyone is welcome, parking is free. There will be two parking lots, one for police, one for fire, your choice!
My office will be taking donation by check written to the:
First Responders Children’s Foundation
c/o Steve Rich Group
222 Delawanna Ave
Clifton NJ 07014
We will also have a Venmo account set up as well.