The Borough of Wyckoff NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 165 Section 64 (ecode360.com)
“The construction, reconstruction or repair of driveway aprons, curbs and sidewalks abutting private property shall be the duty of the abutting landowner and shall be accomplished at the expense of such abutting landowner. This duty shall extend to construction, reconstruction or repairs made necessary by normal wear and tear, roots of trees growing in a municipal street right-of-way or any other cause.”
Sidewalk repair and maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the responsibility of the abutting house owner. Many property proprietors are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is responsible for fixing damaged sidewalks. In most cases, the home owner will employ contractors to make the repair or their municipality will hire the work but will charge the property proprietor for 100% of the cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey launched a program that demanded estate proprietors to fix defective sidewalks in front of their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Estate proprietors in Wyckoff are liable for upholding the sidewalks in front of their buildings. When they fail to sufficiently preserve their sidewalks, they become responsible for the grievances that pedestrians suffer. These pedestrians that injure themselves because of your damaged sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the property owner. There are also many lawyers that love to follow through with these types of premise liability cases, which will amount to a lot of money in the long run. A lot of property owners in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their laxity or the lack of knowledge in regards to sidewalks and liability.
Your municipality or borough can also send you a notice requiring you to fix your sidewalk. Failure to comply within a limited time frame will result in fines and penalties. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by hiring a sidewalk repair company today!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Wyckoff pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Wyckoff NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Employing a contractor to fix your broken sidewalk is the ideal way to avert any lawsuits or fines from your city. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, focuses on sidewalk repair. With numerous crews working all over Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is capable of fixing your sidewalk within a few hours which in turn will diminish liability and refine the look of your house’s aesthetics tremendously. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk fixed professionally!