The Borough of Westwood NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 330 Section 2 (ecode360.com)
“In all the streets, roads and highways of the Borough of Westwood, the sidewalks shall be constructed, reconstructed, paved, repaved, curbed, recurbed, improved and repaired at the cost and expense of the owner or owners of the land in front of which such improvement shall be made.”
Sidewalk repair along with maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the obligation of the abutting house owner. Many house proprietors are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is responsible for fixing damaged sidewalks. In most cases, the home proprietor will hire contractors to make the repair or their city will employ the work but will assess the house owner for 100% of the cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey initiated a program that demanded property owners to repair broken sidewalks adjacent to their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Estate proprietors in Westwood are liable for upholding the sidewalks in front of their buildings. When they fail to sufficiently preserve their sidewalks, they become responsible for the grievances that pedestrians suffer. These pedestrians that injure themselves because of your damaged sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the property owner. There are also many lawyers that love to follow through with these types of premise liability cases, which will amount to a lot of money in the long run. A lot of property owners in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their laxity or the lack of knowledge in regards to sidewalks and liability.
Your municipality or borough can also send you a notice requiring you to fix your sidewalk. Failure to comply within a limited time frame will result in fines and penalties. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by hiring a sidewalk repair company today!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Westwood pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Westwood NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Employing a contractor to repair your broken sidewalk is the ideal way to evade any lawsuits or fines from your municipality. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, specializes in sidewalk repair. With plenty of crews working throughout Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is highly capable of fixing your sidewalk within a few hours which will minimize liability and refine the look of your home’s aesthetics vastly. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk fixed professionally!