The Borough of Totowa NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to repair their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 361 Section 14 via (http://ecode360.com/)
“The owner of any premises in the Borough of Totowa abutting a sidewalk or curb shall, at his own cost and expense, keep and maintain such sidewalk or curb in good condition and state of repair and shall not permit the same to fall into a state of disrepair or to become unfit or unsafe to walk upon. In the event that such sidewalk or curb or any part thereof becomes unsafe or hazardous to the public or unfit to walk upon, the abutting owner, at his own cost and expense, shall, with all expeditious speed, reconstruct or repair, as the facts may require, such sidewalk or curb or that part thereof which requires reconstruction or repair.”
Sidewalk repair as well as maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the duty of the abutting home owner. A lot of home proprietors are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is liable for fixing broken sidewalks. In most cases, the home owner will hire contractors to make the repair or their municipality will employ the work but will assess the property proprietor for 100% of the cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey launched a program that required estate proprietors to fix broken sidewalks adjacent to their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
House owners in Totowa are liable for preserving the sidewalks in front of their buildings. When they fail to adequately preserve their sidewalks, they become accountable for the injuries that pedestrians experience. These pedestrians that hurt themselves by cause of your beat-up sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the home owner. There are also many lawyers that love to follow through with these types of premise liability cases, which will cost you a lot of money down the road. Thousands of property proprietors in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their negligence or the lack of knowledge in regards to sidewalks and responsibility.
Your city or borough can also send you a notice demanding that you fix your sidewalk. Failure to agree within a limited time frame will result in fines and penalties. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by employing a sidewalk repair company ASAP!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Totowa pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Totowa NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Employing a sidewalk contractor to repair your broken sidewalk is the ideal way to avoid any lawsuits or fines from your municipality. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, specializes in sidewalk repair. With plenty of crews working all over Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is highly capable of repairing your sidewalk within a few hours which in turn will minimize liability and refine the look of your estate’s aesthetics tremendously. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk repaired professionally!