The Borough of Teaneck NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 32 Section 31 (ecode360.com)
“In case any sidewalk becomes deteriorated, broken or hazardous, the owner or occupant of the land abutting such sidewalk shall forthwith, upon receipt of written notice from the Township engineer, replace or cause such sidewalk to be replaced and made in a good and passable condition so as to conform with the requirements of this article.”
Sidewalk repair as well as maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the responsibility of the abutting property proprietor. A lot of house proprietors are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is responsible for fixing defective sidewalks. In many cases, the property proprietor will employ contractors to make the repair or their city will employ the work but will assign the home owner for 100% of the job cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey initiated a program that required estate proprietors to fix defective sidewalks adjacent to their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
House proprietors in Teaneck are accountable for maintaining the sidewalks in front of their buildings. When they fail to adequately repair their sidewalks, they become accountable for the injuries that pedestrians experience. These pedestrians that injure themselves because of your beat-up sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the estate proprietor. There are also many lawyers that love to follow through with these types of premise liability cases, which will cost you a lot of money in the long run. Many house owners in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their neglect or the lack of knowledge in regards to sidewalks and liability.
Your municipality or borough may also send you a notice demanding that you re-construct your sidewalk. Failure to agree within a certain time frame will result in fines. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by hiring a sidewalk repair company today!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Teaneck pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Teaneck NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Hiring a sidewalk contractor to fix your defective sidewalk is the best solution to avoid any lawsuits or fines from your municipality. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, specializes in sidewalk repair. With numerous crews working throughout Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is capable of repairing your sidewalk within a few hours which will diminish liability and refine the look of your property’s aesthetics tremendously. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk repaired professionally!