The Borough of River Edge NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 350 Section 17 (ecode360.com)
“Duty of abutting landowner. The construction of curbs and sidewalks and all repair, alteration, relaying and maintaining of sidewalks and curbs are hereby declared to be the duty of the abutting landowner.”
Sidewalk repair and maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the responsibility of the abutting property proprietor. A lot of house proprietors are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is responsible for repairing broken sidewalks. In most cases, the home proprietor will employ contractors to make the repair or their city will hire the work but will assess the house proprietor for 100% of the repair cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey launched a program that demanded estate owners to repair defective sidewalks adjacent to their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Estate owners in River Edge are liable for preserving the sidewalks adjacent to their property. When they fail to sufficiently repair their sidewalks, they become liable for the grievances that pedestrians suffer. These pedestrians that hurt themselves by cause of your damaged sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the home owner. There are also plenty of lawyers that love to follow through with these types of premise liability cases, which will amount to a lot of money down the road. A lot of estate proprietors in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their laxity or the lack of knowledge in regards to sidewalks and responsibility.
Your municipality or borough can also send you a notice requiring you to repair your sidewalk. Failure to agree within a restricted time frame will result in fines and penalties. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by hiring a sidewalk repair company today!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for River Edge pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
River Edge NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Employing a sidewalk contractor to fix your defective sidewalk is the best way to evade any lawsuits or fines from your municipality. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, focuses on sidewalk repair. With plenty of crews working all over Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is capable of fixing your sidewalk within a few hours which in turn will diminish liability and enhance the look of your home’s aesthetics tremendously. Just a quick call to HOLESSolutions will end the daily gamble you’re taking. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk fixed professionally!