The Borough of Palisades Park NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 285 Section 15 (ecode360.com)
“In case any sidewalk becomes out of repair, the owner or occupant of the lands abutting such sidewalk shall forthwith, upon receipt of written notice from the Superintendent of the Department of Public Works, repair or cause the same to be repaired and made in good and passable condition and conform with the requirements of § 258-14. The borough may, at its option, upon default in making any of the repairs required by this section, cause the repairs to be performed under the supervision of the Superintendent and the cost thereof certified to the Tax Collector and added to the next tax bill.”
Sidewalk repair along with maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the responsibility of the abutting property owner. Thousands of home owners are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is responsible for repairing broken sidewalks. In many cases, the property proprietor will hire contractors to make the repair or their municipality will hire the work but will assess the home proprietor for 100% of the job cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey launched a program that demanded estate proprietors to repair broken sidewalks in front of their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Property owners in Palisades Park are responsible for preserving the sidewalks in front of their buildings. When they fail to sufficiently preserve their sidewalks, they become liable for the grievances that pedestrians experience. These pedestrians that injure themselves because of your broken sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the home proprietor. There are also dozens of lawyers that love to follow through with these types of premise liability cases, which will cost you a lot of money down the road. Many home proprietors in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their laxity or the lack of knowledge in regards to sidewalks and responsibility.
Your municipality or borough may also send you a notice demanding you to repair your sidewalk. Failure to comply within a restricted time frame will result in fines and penalties. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by calling a sidewalk repair company today!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Palisades Park pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Palisades Park NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Hiring a contractor to repair your damaged sidewalk is the ideal way to avert any lawsuits or fines from your municipality. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, specializes in sidewalk repair. With plenty of crews working throughout Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is capable of re-constructing your sidewalk within a few hours which will diminish liability and enhance the look of your property’s aesthetics immensely. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk fixed professionally!