The Borough of Norwood NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 202 Section 47 (ecode360.com)
“It shall be the duty of the owner of any property abutting any public street in the Borough upon which a curb or sidewalk now exists or is hereafter constructed to maintain the curb, driveway entrances and sidewalks in front of his property in good condition and at proper grade by reconstructing, repairing or improving them in accordance with the provisions of this article and the plans, specifications and grades supplied by the Borough Engineer.”
Sidewalk repair and maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the responsibility of the abutting house owner. A lot of property owners are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is responsible for repairing damaged sidewalks. In most cases, the house proprietor will hire contractors to make the repair or their city will hire the work but will assess the property owner for 100% of the repair cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey initiated a program that demanded estate owners to repair damaged sidewalks in front of their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Estate proprietors in Norwood are accountable for maintaining the sidewalks adjacent to their property. When they fail to adequately maintain their sidewalks, they become responsible for the injuries that pedestrians experience. These pedestrians that injure themselves by cause of your broken sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the home owner. There are also plenty of lawyers that love to follow through with these types of premise liability cases, which will cost you a lot of money down the road. Thousands of house owners in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their neglect or the lack of knowledge in regards to sidewalks and responsibility.
Your city or borough can also send you a notice demanding that you fix your sidewalk. Failure to agree within a limited time frame will result in fines and penalties. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by contacting a sidewalk repair company today!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Norwood pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Norwood NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Employing a sidewalk contractor to re-construct your damaged sidewalk is the best way to avoid any lawsuits or fines from your municipality. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, focuses on sidewalk repair. With plenty of crews working throughout Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is capable of re-constructing your sidewalk within a few hours which in turn will reduce liability and refine the look of your house’s aesthetics tremendously. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk repaired professionally!