The City of Irvington NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 171 Section 68 (ecode360.com)
” All sidewalks in streets, roads and highways in the Town shall be kept in good repair and condition to ensure for the public the safe and comfortable use of the same, and if any owner of land in front of which sidewalks have been constructed shall allow such sidewalk to become out of repair and unsafe for public use, the Municipal Council, through the Director of the Department of Neighborhood Services or his designated agent, may order the owner to construct and repair such sidewalk at the owner’s expense. “
Sidewalk repair as well as maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the obligation of the abutting house proprietor. Plenty of house proprietors are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is responsible for fixing damaged sidewalks. In most cases, the home proprietor will employ contractors to make the repair or their city will contract the work but will assess the home owner for 100% of the job cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey launched a program that required homeowners to repair damaged sidewalks in front of their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Estate proprietors in Irvington are liable for preserving the sidewalks in front of their buildings. When they fail to sufficiently repair their sidewalks, they become responsible for the grievances that pedestrians suffer. These pedestrians that injure themselves because of your broken sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the estate owner. There are also many of lawyers that love to follow through with these kinds of premise liability cases, which will cost you a lot of money in the long run. Thousands of home proprietors in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court because of their neglect or the lack of understanding in regards to sidewalks and liability.
Your municipality or borough can also send you a notice requiring you to repair your sidewalk. Failure to agree within a limited time frame will result in fines and penalties. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by calling a sidewalk repair company ASAP!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Irvington pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Irvington NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Employing a sidewalk contractor to fix your damaged sidewalk is the ideal solution to avoid any lawsuits or fines from your city. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, specializes in sidewalk repair. With numerous crews working throughout Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is highly capable of fixing your sidewalk within a few hours which will reduce liability and refine the look of your home’s aesthetics tremendously. Just one call to HOLESSolutions will end the daily gamble you’re risking. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk fixed professionally!