The City of Hoboken NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 168 Section 13 (ecode360.com)
“In any case where the Council shall by resolution determine to construct, repair and maintain any sidewalk, the work shall be done under the supervision, control and direction of the Director of the Department of Environmental Services..”
Sidewalk repair in addition to maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the duty of the abutting home owner. Plenty of property owners are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is responsible for fixing battered sidewalks. In most cases, the property owner will employ contractors to make the repair or their municipality will contract the work but will charge the property proprietor for 100% of the repair cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey launched a program that required homeowners to repair damaged sidewalks in front of their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Estate proprietors in Hoboken are liable for preserving the sidewalks adjacent to their property. When they fail to effectively preserve their sidewalks, they become accountable for the grievances that pedestrians experience. These pedestrians that injure themselves because of your defective sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the estate owner. There are also plenty of lawyers that love to follow through with these types of premise liability cases, which will amount to a lot of money in the long run. Thousands of estate owners in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court because of their neglect or the lack of understanding in regards to sidewalks and liability.
Your municipality or borough may also send you a notice demanding that you re-construct your sidewalk. Failure to conform within a limited time frame will result in fines and penalties. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by contracting a sidewalk repair company ASAP!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Hoboken pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Hoboken NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Employing a contractor to repair your broken sidewalk is the ideal way to evade any lawsuits or fines from your municipality. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, specializes in sidewalk repair. With plenty of crews working throughout Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is highly capable of fixing your sidewalk within a few hours which will minimize liability and refine the look of your home’s aesthetics vastly. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk fixed professionally!