The Borough of Cedar Grove NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 230 Section 14 (ecode360.com)
“Subject to the provisions of § 230-15, any sidewalk or driveway apron, on any public street, which is out of line or grade or broken or out of repair or is otherwise in need of reconstruction or repair shall be relaid to line or grade or the broken portions thereof shall be repaired or reconstructed by the owner or owners of the land in front of which any such improvement, reconstruction or repair is to be made (hereinafter referred to in this article as the owner of the land).”
Sidewalk repair and maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the duty of the abutting home owner. Thousands of property proprietors are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is responsible for repairing battered sidewalks. In most cases, the home proprietor will hire contractors to make the repair or their city will contract the work but will assign the house proprietor for 100% of the repair cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey launched a program that required homeowners to repair damaged sidewalks in front of their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Home owners in Cedar Grove are accountable for upholding the sidewalks in front of their buildings. When they fail to adequately maintain their sidewalks, they become liable for the grievances that pedestrians experience. These pedestrians that injure themselves because of your beat-up sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the home owner. There are also many of lawyers that love to follow through with these kinds of premise liability cases, which will amount to a lot of money in the long run.
Your municipality or borough can also send you a notice requiring you to fix your sidewalk. Failure to comply within a limited time frame will result in fines and penalties. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by hiring a sidewalk repair company today!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Cedar Grove pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Cedar Grove NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Employing a contractor to repair your broken sidewalk is the ideal way to evade any lawsuits or fines from your municipality. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, specializes in sidewalk repair. With plenty of crews working throughout Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is highly capable of fixing your sidewalk within a few hours which will minimize liability and refine the look of your home’s aesthetics vastly. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk fixed expertly!