The City of Belleville NJ REQUIRES all homeowners to fix their sidewalks! See below.
Chapter 339 Section 13 (ecode360.com)
” All owners or occupants of any parcel of land fronting on any improved street in the town, are required to keep the sidewalks, curbs and gutters in front of such land in good repair; and if in any case, after 30 days’ notice, such repairs are not done by such owner or occupant, the board of commissioners shall have the same done and the expense thereof with interest and costs, shall be asses¬sed as a tax on such lot and shall be a lien thereon as other taxes are collected. It is the town clerk’s duty to give notice to owners whenever the board of commissioners considers it expedient at such person’s last known post office address, postage prepaid.”
Sidewalk repair and maintenance in the State of New Jersey is the responsibility of the abutting property proprietor. Many home proprietors are not aware of this ordinance and they assume that their city or state is liable for fixing broken sidewalks. In most cases, the home owner will employ contractors to make the repair or their city will hire the work but will charge the house owner for 100% of the repair cost. In 2012, the borough of Highland Park in New Jersey initiated a program that required home proprietors to preserve broken sidewalks adjacent to their homes. Your city or borough can be next!
A lawsuit waiting to happen…
Home owners in Belleville are accountable for upholding the sidewalks adjacent to their property. When they fail to adequately repair their sidewalks, they become liable for the grievances that pedestrians experience. These pedestrians that injure themselves because of your defective sidewalk have the legal right to sue you since you are the estate proprietor. There are also plenty of lawyers that love to follow through with these kinds of premise liability cases, which will amount to a lot of money in the long run. Many estate proprietors in the State of New Jersey have been taken to court due to their laxity or the lack of knowledge in regards to sidewalks and liability.
Your city or borough may also send you a notice demanding that you to repair your sidewalk. Failure to conform within a limited time frame will result in fines and penalties. Spare yourself a lawsuit and fines by employing a sidewalk repair company now!
Types of Sidewalk Defects
There are many types of defective sidewalks that can prove dangerous for Belleville pedestrians.
- Tree roots: When sidewalks go too long without repair, tree roots may cause them to become uneven.
- Collapsed sidewalks: Severely damaged sidewalks may have large parts caved in or separated from the rest of the walkway. This type of a situation certainly poses a serious fall hazard.
- Trip hazards: It is easy to trip and fall on large cracks that cut across poorly maintained sidewalks.
- Improper slope: Uneven sidewalks may have large portions that do not line up with the rest of the walkway.
- Patchwork: In an effort to save money on repairs, it is common to see inadequate patchwork jobs on specific locations that make the sidewalk surface uneven.
- Missing cobblestones and bricks: It is necessary to properly maintain walkways that are not made from concrete to ensure the safety of pedestrians.
Belleville NJ Sidewalk Repair Contractors
Employing a sidewalk contractor to repair your damaged sidewalk is the ideal way to avoid any lawsuits or fines from your city. HOLESSolutions, a Clifton based infrastructure repair company, specializes in sidewalk repair. With plenty of crews working throughout Northern New Jersey, HOLESSolutions is capable of fixing your sidewalk within a few hours which will reduce liability and refine the look of your house’s aesthetics vastly. Just a quick call to HOLESSolutions will end the daily gamble you’re taking. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, you can dial 973-779-4653 to get your sidewalk repaired professionally!